How to Install Wall Plates
This page will provide a basic overview of how to install wall plates to a plaster (Gyprock) wall.
Please note that the steps outlined primarily refer to retrofitting (installation on an existing building) wall plates as opposed to internal brackets which may have been installed before plaster was fitted to the internal walls.
Overview of Installing Wall Plates
Before you begin to install any wall plate you will need the following:
- Plaster (Drywall) Saw
- Drop Sheet
- Spirit Level
- Wall Plate Cutout Template or Ruler
- Screwdriver (may be Philips head or Flat-head Depending on the Wall Plate)
Installing Single Gang Wall Plates with Plaster C Clip Brackets
- Using your spirit level mark a short horizontal line (about 50mm) to set up a guide for your cutout to ensure that you cut a straight hole.
- If you have a wall plate cutout template you could use this to mark the cutout guide. If this is not available you can use a ruler. The cutout width should be approximately 90mm wide and 50mm high as this will allow the bracket to maintain support against the wall.
- Cut out the required hole in the wall with the guidelines set out in the previous point.
- Once the cutout has been completed, insert the plaster bracket onto the wall.
- Fasten the wall plate to the wall with a screwdriver.
- Use a spirit level to confirm the wall plate is level. Some slight adjustment may be required.
Installing Two and Three Gang Wall Plates
Please note that these brackets are not compatible with Clipsal or HPM wall plates. These brackets are only suitable for Decora style wall plates. This format originated in the USA but is common here in Australia with home theatre, speaker and various AV wall plates.
Installing One, Two and Three Gang Recessed Mounting Boxes
Please note that the two and three gang mounting boxes are not compatible with Clipsal or HPM wall plates. These brackets are only suitable for Decora style wall plates. This format originated in the USA but is common here in Australia with home theatre, speaker and various AV wall plates.