Ortofon OM 5E
For more than 50 years, Ortofon has been designing and manufacturing Moving Magnet cartridges. Along with their well-regarded Moving Coil cartridges, Moving Magnet models have established a good reputation among music lovers and Hi-Fi enthusiasts the world over.
The new Ortofon OM 5 series encompasses three basic cartridges: OM 5S, OM 5E and Super OM 5E.
- The series is the lowest-mass range of moving magnet cartridges offered by Ortofon.
- The OM cartridges bodies have been designed to provide easy mounting and alignment on both top mount and bottom mount headshells.
- The OM 5 Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
The Super OM 5E Major Improvements
1. By means of computer simulations it has been possible to define the natural pivot point of the system with unprecedented accuracy while achieving an optimum oscillation balance. The result: improved linearity, higher channel separation and reduced distortion.
2. OM Super cartridges models have split pole pins which reduces magnetic losses at the treble end. This technology extends the frequency range and improves phase linearity.
3. OM Super 5 cartridge body is manufactured from a Noryl (plastic & glass compound) which ensures high rigidity and freedom from resonances.
Optimal Fit and Sound Reproduction
If your tonearm has a standard headshell or a cartridge mount, then step up to optimal sound reproduction with OM’s. A glance at anyone of these cartridges will reveal Ortofon's answer to perfect tonearm matching. Ingeniously tucked into the top of the mounting bracket is a tiny, removable weight-plate.
If your tonearm is an standard tonearm, just leave the weight-plate. If your tonearm is one of the low mass types, then simply remove the weight. The mass of your OM cartridge is now a mere 2.5g.
Super OM 5E features an Elliptical stylus that provides balanced and distortion-free playback. Elliptical diamonds are able to follow the groove oscillations more accurately than spherical diamonds due to their contoured shape. This results in better tracking and less distortion.
Styli Types and Interchangeability
By adopting a wide range of replacement styli, the OM 5 Series can provide an optimum match for your home system, application and budget.
In the development of OM cartridges, a major objective was to provide the music lover with the opportunity to optimize sound reproduction without having to replace the entire cartridge. Instead of being merely intended for replacement purposes following wear or damage, the OM 5 Series allows you to step up to better sound by simply upgrading the stylus. Depending on your preference, styli for the OM 5 Series are easily interchanged and include: styli 3E, 5E, 10, 20, 30, 40 & 78 and D 25 M.
|Super OM 5E Technical Data|
|Output Voltage at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec.||4 mV|
|Channel Balance at 1 kHz||1.5 dB|
|Channel Separation at 1 kHz||22 dB|
|Channel Separation at 15 kHz||15 dB|
|Frequency Response||20-20,000 Hz +3 / -3 dB|
|Tracking Ability at 315 Hz at Recommended Tracking Force||60 µm|
|Compliance, Dynamic, Lateral||20 µm/mN|
|Stylus Tip Radius||r/R 8/18 µm|
|Tracking Force Range||1.5-2.0 g (15-20 mN)|
|Tracking Force, Recommended||1.75 g (17.5 mN)|
|Internal Impedance, DC Resistance||1 kOhm|
|Internal Inductance||580 mH|
|Recommended Load Resistance||47 kOhm|
|Recommended Load Capacitance||200-500 pF|
|Cartridge Colour, Body/Stylus||Black/Black|
|Cartridge Weight Including Extra Weight||5 g|
|Cartridge Weight Excluding Extra Weight||2.5 g|
|Replacement Stylus Unit||5E, 10|
Write a Review
Note: If reviewing a product that has variations such as colour or length, please include this information at the start of the review. For example "Colour: Red" or "Cable Length: 2m" etc.Your Name:
Your Review: Note: Plain text only (HTML is not translated).
Rating: Bad Good