Escape the Everyday with Spatial Surround-Sound
From easy Bluetooth® wireless streaming to the heart-pounding thrills of Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X® soundtracks, the TX-SR494 deepens enjoyment of daily life with great sound and smart features. Seven channels of high-current power give you freedom to choose a speaker layout that suits. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer* or DTS Virtual:X™ place sound overhead or behind if you don’t want height or surround speakers and both Dolby Surround® and DTS® Neural:X are on board. Rear surrounds, bi-amped front speakers, or Powered Zone B audio are also an option. AccuEQ with subwoofer EQ and AccuReflex™ for 5.2.2-ch Dolby Atmos-enabled systems clarify sound in any space. As the heart of your home theatre, the TX-SR494 has HDMI® terminals supporting HDR and 4K/60p video, while the GUI with OSD over HDMI, Zone B pre-/line-out, and Vocal Enhancer function make this receiver a joy to use as well as hear.
* Enabled with a future firmware update.
Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X® Sound is Here
The TX-SR494 supercharges your Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X® experience. Object-based audio is mixed in 3D space and lets any sound play through any speaker, tracking the action, localizing effects, and moving around you. Dolby Surround® and DTS® Neural:X complement native 3D audio playback. These technologies find localization cues in legacy stereo or multichannel soundtracks and upmix these elements to create immersive top-to-bottom dimensionality.
Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer
When playing any Dolby® format, engaging Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer enables a more immersive listening experience, creating a virtual surround and height effect from traditional speaker layouts without employing additional surround or height speakers.
Note: Enabled with a future firmware update.
Spatial Sound Elevated with DTS Virtual:X™
DTS Virtual:X is a new surround-sound virtualization technology that creates an immersive 3D soundfield from any speaker layout, such as 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, and 7.1 configurations without height, surround, or rear surround speakers deployed. It uses sophisticated DSP-based algorithms to place the audience at the centre of a multidimensional soundfield with height and surround spatiality, and is equally effective in large or small spaces. DTS Virtual:X works in the 3D domain with DTS:X soundtracks, DTS formats, and non-encoded stereo.
Ready for 4K HDR Entertainment
Enjoy comprehensive support for 4K/60p and HDR (High Dynamic Range) video formats including HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision®, and BT.2020. The 4:4:4 colour-space is also supported. All four HDMI® inputs and ARC-ready output pass video from player to your compatible TV, unlocking everything the latest films and games have to offer. You can easily confirm A/V input-output status via a new OSD window.
More Power, More Realism, More Magic
It’s tempting to see watts as the most important figure on an amp’s spec sheet. However, watts are an indication of loudness, not sound quality. Amperes—electrical current—tell the real story. The more current an amplifier develops, the better it controls the speakers. Better control equals fast transient response, wide dynamic range, and clear, accurate sound. The high-output transformer, large capacitors, and discrete amps inside the TX-SR494 produce the most current in its class. And that’s one big reason why it sounds as good as it does.
AccuEQ Room Acoustic Calibration with AccuReflex™
AccuEQ Room Acoustic Calibration creates a harmonious soundfield in your room. It detects speaker presence, size, and distance from a measurement position, and sets appropriate sound-pressure levels. It then selects the ideal subwoofer crossover and applies equalization to all speakers. AccuReflex technology optimizes reproduction of object-based audio through Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. It resolves phase-shift arising from path differences between directional and non-directional sounds. Along with improved localization, a 3D field with vertical movement and overhead dimensionality is produced.
Hear Dialogue Clearly at the Touch of a Button
Finally, a fast and effective solution to inaudible dialogue in TV programs and movies. The TX-SR494 features DSP-controlled Vocal Enhancer that identifies vocal frequencies and allows you to raise or lower them to taste using keys on the remote or via the tone controls on the receiver’s front panel.
Share the Atmosphere or Relax in Privacy
A fantastic addition to the TX-SR494 is a Zone B pre-/line-out. It connects a component with an analogue RCA line input to audio sources available to the receiver, including HDMI and digital audio. Share sound to a hi-fi in a nearby space, or connect a supported charging transmitter dock for wireless headphones and enjoy your entertainment without disturbing anybody.
Powered Zone B Audio or Front-Channel Bi-Amping
The Height/Surround Back/Bi-Amp/Zone B speaker outputs can drive stereo speakers in another room with a 5.2-ch setup in the main room. The outputs can share any AVR source exclusively in Zone B, or play the same source in Main and Zone B. Alternatively, you can bi-amp your pair of compatible front speakers.
Simple Steps to Sweet Sound
The TX-SR494 simplifies your room’s entertainment setup. Components plug into labelled ports while your TV connects via one easy-to-conceal HDMI cable. Hook up your speakers as shown by a friendly diagram next to the numbered speaker terminals. Setup takes moments, enjoyment is limitless.
Smooth and Easy Bluetooth® Streaming
Whatever audio is playing on your phone, tablet, or PC app can be streamed to the TX-SR494 with Bluetooth wireless technology. Once the receiver has paired with and remembered your device, it will start playback automatically whenever it detects an incoming Bluetooth audio stream.
Decompress with Advanced Music Optimizer™
When an audio file is squeezed into a small container (such as MP3), high-frequency data is lost. This can affect sound quality. Onkyo’s Advanced Music Optimizer DSP listening mode reconstructs the missing bit data. Playback quality is greatly improved, while you enjoy the same convenient file sizes. This mode also optimizes Bluetooth streaming playback quality.
USB Power for Streaming Dongles
A USB port on the rear panel powers any media streaming stick plugged into an adjacent HDMI input—great if you don’t have enough power-points.
- 160 watts per channel
- Supports 4K/60p and HDR (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision®, BT.2020)
- 5.2.2-ch Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X® playback
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer* and DTS Virtual:X™
- AccuEQ with subwoofer EQ and AccuReflex™
- Discrete high-current amp system with 4-ohm drive capability
- Bluetooth® technology and Advanced Music Optimizer™
- Vocal Enhancer function improves voice audibility
- Zone B pre-/line-out shares any audio source to components with an RCA input, such as wireless headphone docks, etc.
- OSD window shows media format data for quick confirmation
* Enabled with a future firmware update.
- High-Output Low-Noise Power Transformer
- High-current 7-channel analogue amplification system
- Discrete high-power output transistors
- Original low-impedance amp-circuit topology
Video & Audio Support
- Supports HDCP 2.2, 4K/60p, HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG, BT.2020), 4:4:4 colour-space, BT.2020, 3D Video, ARC (Audio Return Channel), DeepColout™, x.v.Colour™, and LipSync via HDMI
- Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby® TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio™ decoding
- Supports SACD (Super Audio CD) Playback via HDMI (2.8 MHz/2ch, multi-channel)
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer and DTS Virtual:X 3D sound processing
- Dolby Surround® and DTS® Neural:X upmixing technologies
- Premium 384 kHz/32-bit AKM multichannel DAC
- Direct Mode for source-authentic stereo sound
- 4 HDMI inputs and 1 output with ARC (Audio Return Channel)
- 2 digital audio inputs (1 optical and 1 coaxial, assignable)
- 3 analogue audio inputs (assignable)
- Zone B pre-/line-out
- 2 subwoofer pre-outs
- Speaker terminals (screw-type x 2 [Front L/R], lever-type x 5)
- Rear USB power supply terminal (5 V/1 A) for media streaming devices
- 6.35 mm headphone output (front)
- 3.5 mm AccuEQ setup mic input (front)
- AccuEQ Room Acoustic Calibration, Subwoofer EQ, and AccuReflex
- Zone B pre-/line-out shares any audio source to components with an RCA input, such as mini hi-fi systems, integrated amps, wireless headphone docks, etc.
- Height/Surround Back/Powered Zone B/Speaker Bi-Amp terminals
- DSP-controlled Vocal Enhancer function boosts dialogue audibility via remote keys or front-panel controls
- Bluetooth wireless technology supports high-quality audio streaming from phones, tablets, and PCs
- Advanced Music Optimizer improves playback quality of compressed audio
- GUI with OSD via HDMI features media input/output information window for easy confirmation of playback settings
- 1080p Full HD to 4K Ultra HD upscaling over HDMI
- Quick Connection Guide on rear panel for stress-free setup
- A/V sync control (up to 500 ms in 5 ms steps at 48 kHz)
- Direct Power On function switches on receiver when an input key is pressed on the remote control or front panel
- HDMI passthrough function on standby
- Tone controls for Front L/R channels (bass/treble)
- 3-Mode front-panel display dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer)
- AM/FM tuner with 40 random presets
- Sleep timer
- Simple remote control
- Power Output: 160 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 channel driven), 135 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 channel driven, IEC)
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz–100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (Direct Mode)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 160 x 328 mm
- Weight: 8.2 kg
Write a Review
Note: If reviewing a product that has variations such as colour or length, please include this information at the start of the review. For example "Colour: Red" or "Cable Length: 2m" etc.Your Name:
Your Review: Note: Plain text only (HTML is not translated).
Rating: Bad Good